Hi

I was working with mysql 3.23.41 on linux.
I was able to store and retrieve japanese characters from the db using java
code. I am using Shift_JIS encoding.

yesterday I took a dump of my database and restored it in another linux
machine having mysql 3.23.38.

But now my code is outputting only ???? marks on the browser.
please tell me how to beat this thing.

I heard a piece of info that I can do something in the /etc/my.cnf file to
solve this. Is it correct.

btw when i did
mysql> show variables

I got this among the other output.

| character_set                   | latin1
 character_sets                  | latin1 big5 cp1251 cp1257 croat czech
danish dec8 dos estonia euc_kr gb2312

Please help me with your valuable advice
Thank you
Deepak