It seems strange to me that the tools in the MySQL distribution that let you run automatic performance tests rely on DBI and perl.

If I want to test the performance of MySQL, why is it a good idea to do this while relying on another technology, one that is distributed by someone else, one that may have integration issues with pre-release versions of MySQL?

I imagine that the perl part of this makes it easier to generate those nice little reports.

So, why would one not use MySQL tools to run the performance tests and dump out to a raw format, which would then be fed into a completely separate application, written in perl for example, that would then pretty-print the data?

This would seem to be a much less fragile solution. It would also have the benefit that one could test the performance of MySQL without polluting the results with perl and DBI cruft.

Would anybody care to defend the current approach?

thanx - ray