Hi all:

Using script files is convenient because it allows storage of frequently used queries, and facilitates editing long queries without having to retype the whole thing.

Something that would make script files more convenient is to change the directory from which SOURCE reads them.

My databases (probably everyone's?) are located in the directory:

/usr/local/mysql/

It is in this directory that SOURCE looks for script files. Thus the command:

mysql> SOURCE home_runs.sql

looks for the script file:

/usr/local/mysql/home_runs.sql

But often script files are located elsewhere, e.g., when downloaded from the web, or when created and stored elsewhere for organizational purposes. For the SOURCE command to access such scripts, the absolute path must be given, e.g.:

mysql> SOURCE /Users/jack/Desktop/Du_Bois_scripts/mortality.sql

It would be nice to re-set the "default" directory to /Users/jack/Desktop/Du_Bois_scripts, so that one would have only to type:

mysql> SOURCE mortality.sql

to run the mortality.sql script that is located in /Users/jack/Desktop/Du_Bois_scripts.

Is that somehow possible? Or is there a common workaround?

I thought of putting a script in the default directory (/usr/local/mysql/) that in turn calls the desired script. I.e., put a script in /usr/local/mysql that contains only the line:

SOURCE /Users/jack/Desktop/Du_Bois_scripts/mortality.sql

But that requires fiddling with two scripts as one goes along, and I'm wondering whether there is a more straightforward solution.

Also tried to use a user variable to supply the re-used portion of the directory path, but that just produced an error:

mysql> set @thing="scripts" ;

mysql> source concat(@thing,"/jacks/hr.sql");
ERROR:
Failed to open file 'concat(@thing,"/jacks/hr.sql")', error: 2

Finally, if indeed it is not possible to re-set the "default" directory, I'm wondering why? Is it a security thing? Just curious.

Thanks all.

Best,

Jack Connolly
Hanover, MA

| version() |
| 3.23.52-entropy.ch |

..... running under Mac OS 10.2 (Jaguar).