--On Tuesday, December 03, 2002 12:14 PM -0500 "Keith C. Ivey"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My first guess is that you have CRLF where you think you've got just
> LF.  Have you tried the query with '\r\n' in place of '\n'?

That was it. I guess the data must have been imported from source that was
crafted on a Windows box without line-ending conversion.

(Gerald, the newlines are interpreted by the new BBS code, so the <br> was
redundant. I'd guess the \r was just ignored or passed through to the
generated page. I'll have to hex-dump one to see.)