* Linda Carter
> I've got two MySQL books that I've just purchased in order to help me
> utilize the MySQL on my web host's server.  I've been searching them both,
> but I still don't have answers to some very basic questions.
>
> Okay, the MySQL database I want to run will be on my web host.
> Since I don't
> have the server physically in my possession, is the working method to
> install MySQL to my machine, develop the routines there, then
> upload them to my server?

That is a 'normal' way of doing it, yes. (But, of course, you don't
_have_to_ install anything on your own machine, that is just for
convenience, to make the development process easier.)

> I've been going on that assumption and have attempted
> to install
> to my Windows 2000 pro system.  Still fumbling with that.  Should I be
> trying to install the version most like the one on my host's server?

Yes, the two first digits of the version number should match, but mysql is
mostly compatible with itself, developing on 4.0.x and having a production
system on 3.23.x is normally not a problem. (Of course, some features are
new in 4.0.x and not available in 3.23, you can not use those features.)

> He's on LInux Apache.  Will that cause a problem?

No. The only thing to be aware of is line endings in text files. On Windows,
any text file you create/edit will have CRLF line endings. Text files
created/edited on linux will normally have LF line endings. This is relevant
if you use the LOAD DATA INFILE statement.

> I don't see anything in either of these books on uploading, which makes me
> wonder if they're assuming I have access to the actual server.
> Of course I
> do, in a limited way, but I don't see any explanations on how to
> access the
> MySQL on my virtual "machine"  over at the web host's.
>
> What am I missing here?

hm... 'uploading'. One thing is uploading your routines, another thing is
uploading the data.

You will probably use LOAD DATA INFILE to load comma separated data into
your local database first, and when the development process is finished, you
dump & move it to the production server. The data file below
("the_data.sql") is produced by running mysqldump on an existing database.

Uploading the data, from your local machine with mysql installed:

mysql -h mysql_server_host -u user_name -p database_name  < the_data.sql

If mysql is not installed on the local machine, you can a) install it, b)
move the_data.sql to a machine with mysql, or c) move the_data.sql to the
server.

This will only work if your web host has opened for access to the mysql
server from the outside. This is not always the case, sometimes only the web
server of the ISP can access the db server. In that case, you will probably
need some mysql admin utility, like phpMyAdmin. This utility will let you
upload the_data.sql, and also provides basic browsing/editing functionality.

Your 'routines' (PHP/Perl/Python/Java/C++/whatnot code), used to browse/edit
the data, must be uploaded in the 'normal way', same way you would do for
.html files (probably using a FTP client.)

HTH,

--
Roger