another trick that might work is just to deny access to everyone to the
database.  if no one has access to it, then its as good as gone.

i don't know if MySQL would allow just
grant blah on *.* to user;
revoke all on disabled_db.* from user;
and alot of it depends on how the security is setup and possibly why you want
just that database temporaraly gone.

--
mysql, sql, query