Recently, I upgraded some moderately taxed mysql servers from 3.23.49a to
4.0.4  (all installed via redhat rpms downloaded from mysql.com).  The
motivation for the upgrade was actually that replication seems a little flaky
under 3.23.49a.  For example, we've had unexplained corrupt binlog issues.
(If anyone has any advice on this, that'd be appreciated.)

About 20 hours after the upgrade, and then periodically after that, the machine
the server was on would grind to a halt with a load of 100-200.  It was
difficult to grab any information at all about what was goin' on considering
the load.  Once mysqld was killed & restarted, things would return to normal
until some period later when the machine would grind to a halt once again.

Any advice?  What should we looking for?  One issue might be that we have
the maximum number of connections set way too high for the 1GB of memory
the box has.

--j