On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 01:45:04AM -0500, Cedric Veilleux wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       I am running mysql 3.23.53 on FreeBSD 4.4. I compiled mysql from source with
> the following configure command:
>
> --prefix=/usr/local --localstatedir=/var/db/mysql
>
>       Every now and then, the server seems to change its database directory to
> /var/tmp. When it happens, "show databases" gives me the content of the
> /var/tmp directory!
>
>       I had this problem for more than a year now, and I upgraded every time a new
> version was available hoping it would fix it. I noticed that the higher to
> load on the mysql daemon, the more likely it is to happen... So there is
> probably a race condition or something.
>
>       The manual says mysql is less reliable on FreeBSD because of the poor
> multi-threading implementation. I didn't expect I'd have to restard it every
> day (!!)

You need to compile MySQL with the "-DHAVE_BROKEN_REALPATH" option.
This is fixed in the 4.0 and 4.1 configuration process for MySQL, I
think.  I don't recall seeing the change go into the 3.23 tree yet.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 3.23.51: up 16 days, processed 496,842,634 queries (339/sec. avg)