Hello.

On Fri 2002-12-06 at 17:04:27 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a large blob column with encrypted data and also i have other
> non-blob columns.  I get results when i do the following
>
> Note: ID = non blob column
>
> Select ID from table
> > i get records returned
>
> when i select from a blob column for example:
>
> select blobcolumn from table

Surely not. 'table' is a reserved word. Please cite real examples.
Re-writing them for your mail just invites unrelated errors.

Please include (the relevant part of) the table definition next time
(as by SHOW CREATE TABLE).

> > it hangs no results. I have to CTRL C to exit out.

Which client?

> when i do this
>
> select blobcolumn from table
> where id = 3232
>
> > i get returned records
>

> There's about 1.3 million records in this table.
>
> what is the problem. Can any one Help?

If you use the command line client, it will try to store complete
result in memory (1.3 million BLOB columns), before displaying
it. This may take some time, start extensive swapping (and even
slowdown) and even exhaust memory.

Try

  SELECT COUNT(blobcolumn), SUM(LENGTH(blobcolumn))
  FROM   your_table

if it does not hang, my guess above is probably right. Please post the
result.

HTH,

        Benjamin.

--