I am running MySQL 3.23.46 under Linux kernel 2.2.20 as the back-end of
an active website.  On occasion mysql seems to stop responding.  When I
log into the server one of the MySQL processes is consuming a
substantial amount of CPU resources (i.e. it is on the top of the list
when viewing the “top” command.).

Killing all of the mysql processes (using killall -9) and restarting
seems to fix the problem.

After reading the list archives, I came upon the idea of repairing and
optimizing the database using the command:
./mysqlcheck -or -A -u root –p

But when I type that command, I receive the following message

error    : The handler for the table doesn't support check/repair

for most of the tables in the database.

Any ideas/suggestions on how I can troubleshoot the hung process and why
I am unable to optimize the tables?

Thanks!

Paul