Hi!

I was able to break replication with a single SLAVE STOP command in 4.0.6.

I ran an InnoDB stress test ibtest17.

>From the printout below we see that after SLAVE START immediately we got a
foreign key error in the slave. That shows the slave no longer was identical
to the master, since only successful SQL statements are logged in the
master.

heikki@hundin:~/mysql-4.0/sql>
mysqld --defaults-file=/home/heikki/slavemy.cnf
021208 20:39:45  InnoDB: Started
mysqld: ready for connections
021208 20:39:45  Slave I/O thread: connected to master
'slaveuser@hundin:3307',
 replication started in log 'FIRST' at position 4

<SLAVE STOP issued here>

021208 20:40:04  Slave I/O thread exiting, read up to log 'binlog.001',
position
 8634144
021208 20:40:04  Slave SQL thread exiting, replication stopped in log
'binlog.0
01' at position 8630891

<SLAVE START issued here>

ERROR: 1216  Cannot add a child row: a foreign key constraint fails
021208 20:40:12  Slave: error 'Cannot add a child row: a foreign key
constraint
fails' on query 'insert into ibtest17b (D, B, C) values (LAST_INSERT_ID(),
'tttt
' ,'yyyyy')', error_code=1216
021208 20:40:12  Error running query, slave SQL thread aborted. Fix the
problem,
 and restart the slave SQL thread with "SLAVE START". We stopped at log
'binlog.
001' position 8630891
021208 20:40:12  Slave I/O thread: connected to master
'slaveuser@hundin:3307',
 replication started in log 'binlog.001' at position 8634144

We can say that SLAVE STOP cannot currently be used at all when you have
transactions bigger than a single SQL statement running.

I am forwarding this to the replication developer of MySQL AB. He must fix
SLAVE STOP.

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
InnoDB - transactions, hot backup, and foreign key support for MySQL
See http://www.innodb.com, download MySQL-Max from http://www.mysql.com

sql query