Question from a Linux and MySql newbie

I just installed RedHat 8.0 and MySQL. During installation there was no
prompt for any database server properties (hostname, user).

Now I downloaded MySQLCC and try to configure the connection to the server.
I assume the server is running, because I can start and stop it through the
services interface.

However, whatever info I put into the Client - it will always give me an
error 145 (User can't connect).

What am I doing wrong? I followed the instructions in the "INstall" file to
set up a new user and got an error also.

I guess that's what happens when a MSSQL guy, spoilt and unnerved by endless
wizzards, tries to learn Linux.

Dietrich