Hello Mike,

The short answer: use Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.

You are pressing the boundaries between a query language (SQL) and a
programming/scripting language (Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.).  Scripting
languages as these already have those capabilities and can easily connect
to MySQL an many other database.  That is, if you create a solution with a
scripting language you will also create a more portable solution.

Regards,
- Robert

-----