Hello,

I am wondering about the case where a client sends
  mysql_query("commit")
but never gets a response.

Is the transaction complete, or not?  Perhaps the "commit" was lost in the
network -- but, on the other hand, perhaps the server committed the
transaction and the reply was lost in the network.  The client might get a
RST or timeout without knowing which of these two events occured, right?
(unless, I suppose, it is known that the server will delay the actual
commit until it gets an TCP ACK of its reply...)

If this is a problem, are there any plans to resolve it in future
revisions of the mysql network protocol?

Thanks,
JD