Hello.

On Wed 2002-12-11 at 05:14:09 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello:
>     I am having a strange problem that it appears that no one else is
> having. I am running Slackware Linux with a 2.4.18 kernel, and MySQL
> 3.23.52-log. It is running on a dual CPU system with 860M ram.
>
> The problem is that mysql seems to reserve a lot of ram reguardless
> of what mysql is actually doing. Here is a top output

[...]
> 10252 mysql      9    0  270M  260M sleep   2:10  0.01%  0.00% mysqld
[...]
> Why is mysql size showing as 270M? There is nothing going on that
> looks like it is useing lot's of ram. Is this something to worry
> about?

[...]
> This is a snip of my /etc/my.cnf
[...]
> set-variable    = key_buffer=256M

Here you are allowing MySQL to use up to 256MB as cache for indexes.

Well, it is actually doing as you told it to do. As the cache is meant
to keep index pages between queries, there is no sense in freeing
those pages in between. It is what makes queries fast by avoiding disk
accesses for locating the records to load.

[...]
> These problems are causing me serious pain as whenever a large
> process starts my load avg jumps throught the roof. I run radius
> off of this database, and when the load jumps users fail to authenticate.
> Any help/sugestions with this matter would be great.

256MB for the key_cache on a 860MB system looks completely sane to me,
maybe even small, depending what else runs on the machine. But if that
memory usage makes problems, you should decrease it, of course. But
remember that the price you pay is a performance loss for MySQL. How
much, that depends on how efficient the key cache is with the new
size.

On the other hand, I wonder what claims the other 590MB of your system?

HTH,

        Benjamin.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]