Yup, agreed.

MySQLODBC works over TCP/IP fine. I'm currently tunneling through a Linksys router to a database I have at home.

If your provider is unwilling to compromise, it maybe time to look for another host. There are plenty of MySQL and MS SQL hosts who allow TCP/IP connections.

At 11:56 AM 12/14/2002 -0800, JamesD wrote:
they can do it. they just dont want to.
firewall rules can be established to allow
connects to the mysql port from only the ip's
assoc with your remote offices, etc etc

the answer is you can do what you want. You
just need a business partner who can service
his customer properly.

mysqlODBC can do what you want. where mysql is
located is irrelevant, in the grand sense.
you just point to an ip and a port. etc etc

James Danforth

-----Original Message-----
From: Donna Flanders [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 6:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Using MS Access as front end to mysql database

We have been informed by our web hosting site that we cannot connect
remotely to our mysql database using any kind of connection other than a
script from
a web page or phpMyAdmin. It is our intent to have our data stored in a
mysql
database on the web and use MS Access as the front end to the database.

Our reasons are - we have an existing Access database with a small number of
users at different locations that need to be entering data, running reports
and queries. We also have a large number of agencies that would hit the
database. It was our intent to migrate the data tables to mysql and leave
MS Access as the front end. When we asked our web host about this, they
responded this way:
________
Due to security concerns you would not be able to connect to our mysql
server thru an external terminal directly as a mysql client. You would
be able to use mysql services only thru Web sevices i.e either thru php
scripts or thru phpmyadmin in Control panel-->Advanced Menu-->Sql
Databases
_____

My questions are - Is this true of all web hosts or just the one we are
using? Our current hosting plan is a shared hosting plan. Do we have to
have a dedicated database server to do this? Knowing that we want to keep
MS Access as the front end, are there other options we have not explored?

Michael She  : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mobile       : (519) 589-7309
WWW Homepage : http://www.binaryio.com/