TR,

Ok first I would like to say that I have just recently started using MySQL so I
feel your pain and I hope my explination helps you out.

The mysql user your referring to is probably the user that is should be used to
run the mysql daemon. Which would b e a seperate *nix/Windows(?) user, I'm not
sure how the windows version works with users.

The MySQL root user is just a built in user that is used for, generally,
administrative stuff... i.e. making users, backing up DBs, etc ,etc. The built
in root user has all of the priviledges it already need but in short it has ALL
of the priviledges.

Making yourself a mysql superuser is neither a good thing or a bad thing... It
sounds to me like you are a home user just messing around with MySQL (like
myself) that is why it isn't a good thing nor a bad thing. But as a general
rule it you have control over the root user and you make a normal user I would
say that it doesn't need to be a super user. A nice set of priviledges, I
think, for a normal user... which give them creative freedom is the folowing
grant statement run as the mysql root user after you do # mysql -u root -p:

GRANT SELECT,ALTER,DROP,CREATE,INSERT,DELETE,INDEX,UPDATE ON `username%`.*
TO 'username'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY "password";

Ok the `username%`.* is what give the user creative freedom... It allows the
user with the "username" to create whatever DBs it needs BUT the DB needs to
have the prefix username on the front of it. Those are back ticks not sigle
quotes too by the way. This grant statement also allows the user to connect
from ANYWHERE so if you want to restrict where that user logs in from apply the
appropriate end to the TO 'username'@ portion... and those are single quotes.
Just replace every instance of username with whatever user you are setting up.

Hope that helps and sorry if it was too elementary, I had a REAL hard time
getting this and this was the way I finally got it.

L8R,
Ryan