David T-G wrote:

I'm still trying to get a good handle on how sets can be useful to me.

You're thinking of ENUMs. SETs are for when you want multiple things selected out of a list. So perhaps, favorite colours:

You have a column Colours SET('black','purple','blue','green','yellow','orange','red','white');

Then you can do a query like:
UPDATE FavoriteColours SET Colours = ('yellow','blue','green') WHERE ID = 4;

(The 'SET' keyword in the UPDATE command is purely coincidental)

Anyhow, ENUMs are the same as having a second table with a foreign key relation to the current table and SETs are the same as having a table that you double-join against to match up multiple values.

PS 'same' here means it has pretty much the same functionality as ...

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.