On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:43:28AM -0600, Jamie Sullivan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am setting up a mySQL box in my development environment and have
> noticed that even under little usage mysql will consume a couple
> hundred MB's of swap space even though I have almost 1GB of apparent
> "free" physical memory.  I am using the 'my-large.cnf' configuration
> file and otherwise haven't modified anything. The server is a 400Mhz
> sparc w/ 2GB ram and 1 SCSI disk.  Can someone please provide some
> guidance as to whether this is normal or am I not configuring
> something properly.

What OS are you using?

Some versions of the Linux kernel had problems that caused it to
needlessly swap out MySQL memory when there was lots of memory still
available.

Here was some of my original discussion on the topic:

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000132.html

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 3.23.51: up 1 days, processed 55,530,181 queries (426/sec. avg)