You might also wish to consider downloading and installing Webmin. It's one of the
easiest installs I have encountered. Simply tar the tarball and proceed into the new
subdirectory (IE webmin-1.030) and perform a /setup.sh . Webmin will allow you easy
access to your server via a web browser. Simply enter http://serverip:10000/ after the
installation. To manage your MySQL databases, simply left-click on the Server button
and select the MySQL server icon.

You should be able to accomplish a great deal with this GUI. For tasks not covered by
Webmin, you will need to familiarize yourself with Telnet. If, as was the case with
our distribution, Telnet is disabled by default, you will need to familiarize yourself
with PuTTY.exe for accessing your server via a secure shell. GL

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 13:56, Martin Finnegan wrote:

> I am trying to get a handle on MySQL anticipating a PHP application I want
> to implement on a website next year. I am using WinXP and the website is on
> a Linux server.

> I have created a new database, but am having problems creating tables. Its
> not too obvious how to go about it. I have consulted the manual but of
> course its all Linux based.

> I want to get an application called phpMember ver 0.1.0 (
> http://product.cybergl.co.id/dev/expose.php?cmd=install&version_id=53 )
> working. Point 2 of the installation says: Create the required tables
> within your website databse as provided in phpMember.sql
> You can use the mysql-client for this: mysql (db-name) <phpMember.sql
>
> Any tips about how I can do this in Windows? I can't figure out how the
> hell I'm supposed to do this. I'm used to using ASP and just creating an
> Access DB. I did a bit of PHP a couple of years ago with postgres but its
> all a bit hazy now. Maybe I'm way off track here - I sure could use a few
> pointers.

On Windows you can do the same in the DOS prompt.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com