I have some questions on how an index is built and
used.

I have a very simple table like this:

char_col char(10) not null
Index (char_col)

If I have 1000 records in this table, how big will the
index become? The data-size would be 10 000 right?

How does an index look like and how can it speed up
searches?
>From what I can think, the index on the rows in the
table above would look like this:
name
address
name
phone

There must be something more, like a pointer of some
sort and a more efficient way of storing the indexed
stuff.

Any thoughts?
// Michelle

<sql, query>