Hello list,

I have been running MySQL 3.23.51 on a 4.6 FreeBSD box for some time with no problem.

Recently, a client requested the ability to connect from remote. Until now, I only allow connections from localhost and no TCP port open.

I have been going through the docs trying to figure out how to get tcp working, and/or ssh. I can ssh into the box no problem and use my ssh client to create a socket local:3306 to remote:3306. I also restarted MySQLd to allow tcp:

./mysql-server.sh start

20503 p0 I 0:00.01 /bin/sh /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql --port=3306
20521 p0 S 0:00.03 /usr/local/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local --datadir=/var/db/mysql --user=mysq (screen chops off)

mysql client from command line of server connects fine at localhost.
php applications use mysql server fine via user/pass at localhost.

still cant connect to server from remote using same user/pass. the user has perms
to allow connects from my remote ip (host).

Connection Failed: 2013 lost connection to MySQL server during query.

This problem is when I try the tunnell and also when I try to connect directly to the box. For now, if I could just get tcp to accept connections from a remote ip without ssh would be a nice start. Can anyone help? I have read the docs and still cant get it to work. Any ideas?

Thanks

kris