PLATFORM: 3.23.52-max-nt with Windows 2000 professional (default table type)

I have discovered a performace issue when joining several tables together. The performance is extremely poor when performing select queries using the WHERE clause and joining the tables with the pk_media_id = fk_media_id etc... I guess this is what people might think about when considering using mysql. With SQL 2000 Windows Server, and ACCESS, there was no loss in performace. 4 of my tables are cross reference tables as such:

pk=primary key, fk= foreign key

Medias MediaAuthors Authors

pk_media_id ---- fk_media_id, fk_author_id ---- pk_author_id

(Many authors for each media)