Maybe it is the version of glibc i'm using? it is unstable, the load spikes
to +50 in 2 minutes.
(it is the glibc package form Slackware 8.1)

> Could you please give this one a try? If this one solves the
> problem, I will publish it on our download pages ASAP:
>
> http://work.mysql.com/~lgrimmer/mysql-max-3.23.54c-pc-linux-i686.tar.gz

Ok, this one works without the spikes,
normally the load would jump from ~1 to +50, nog it is stable at 1 again.
And if this one works for me, it'll work for almost everyone ;)
(kinda loaded server, +1000 queries/s spikes and avg of +350 q/s)

-kees