Yes, that's intentional - we have changed this in 4.1, but it's not
documented in the manual yet. A quote from the developer working on that
code:
So, the PASSWORD() function is now not to be used for passwords?  The
problem is that I have built at least a few applications that use
PASSWORD() as the authentication mechanism as it produces a one-way hash
that is the same every time - the same as what MD5() does.  No one was
told that this wasn't the desired usage for PASSWORD().

Now the problem that I face is that I can't convert my old passwords to
MD5 hashes because the original PASSWORD() function was irreversible.
 Therefore I am left with no choice but to use a deprecated function...
which I really don't want to do...

What do you suggest?

Regards,

Matt Parlane