At the present time I am using Mandrake 9.0 and installed the MySql
programmes that con the three disks:

MySQL-3.23.52-1mdk.i586.rpm*
MySQL-bench-3.23.52-1mdk.i586.rpm*
MySQL-client-3.23.52-1mdk.i586.rpm*
MySQL-Max-3.23.52-1mdk.i586.rpm

#mysql_install_db has been run. The last time I did this it said to
change the root password in the book I am using: "Sams Teach Yourself
MySQL in 21 Days" with the following: #mysqladmin -password newpassword.
As the old password is supposed to be empty I used the following on the
command line: #mysqladmin -password green but something was not right
and later executions it would not accept this password. Any help would
be appreciated.

Thank you,
--
William Bradley