I really don't want to do this client side (I'd have to execute
approximately 10 queries for every page load just for this small task).
Selecting the entire table into a temp table to number the rows also
seems rather inefficient. I was reading in a book at Barnes and Noble
yesterday which said to use a query that looked something like this:

SELECT a.id FROM documents as a, documents as b WHERE a.id >= b.id GROUP
BY a.id HAVING MOD(a.id,:n);

I'm nearly positive that that isn't exactly what it said, but it was
something like that. If anyone can come up with a way to do this without
a temporary table and only one or two queries (using 3.x or 4.0) that'd
be great. Thanks for the help guys.

-Greg