networking related reason,  then I can see that such errors are not
handled softly within the mysqlclient lib, instead it crashes deep
inside, for example the following backtrace should show this;

#0  0x08082210 in net_safe_read ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x08082210 in net_safe_read ()
#1  0x08082d08 in read_one_row ()
#2  0x08085473 in mysql_fetch_row ()
#3  0x080497be in main (argc=1, argv=0xb075d804) at crawl.c:705
(gdb) q

 I'm using what appears to be a very recent version taken from the
unstable tree in debian, libmysqlclient10_3.23.54a-1_i386.deb

 Any comments on this? should I be doing something differently or
use different API that handles these sort of things ?

 Please CC me as I'm not subscribed.

   Thanks,
                Marc.

--
marc @ corky.net

fingerprint = D1F0 5689 967F B87A 98EB  C64D 256A D6BF 80DE 6D3C

          /"\
          \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
           X      Against HTML Mail
          / \