From: Iain Lang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, 22 December 2002 11:15 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How long is my piece of string?

.
Dear List,

I'm using php & MySQL for a cycling club website, results, guest-book,
events and so on. I've just started and have faithfully created indices
all over the place.

At present, we have less than 400 records, be they of members, of image
URLs, whatever. Each year will, I expect, create an additional 400 records.

Am I gilding the lily adding indices for such a small database? Does such
a small database really *need* indices, and beyond what number of records
might indices provide faster extraction/presentation?

I realise how vague a question it is, hence the subject title.

Yooors,

Iain.

-
"Most progress has been the result of the
actions of unreasonable men." G.B.Shaw.
http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk
Johnstone-Wheelers - the friendliest
cycling club in Scotland!