For month now I have been plagued by the "Lost connection to MySQL server
during query" in a Perl program of mine that connects locally to
/tmp/mysql.sock.

Having taken everything apart, I have narrowed it down to this line:

$sth = $dbh -> prepare ("SELECT concat(newsgroup, ' ', stop, ' ', start, '
', flags) FROM newsgroups WHERE local <> 'y' ORDER BY newsgroup ASC");

Whenever it fails, around 3 out of 10 times, it fails in this query. This
query only returns a small amount of data, around 20 newsgroups or so. I see
nothing wrong with this query, and most of the times it executes just fine.

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here? Why, when it fails,
would it fail here??

Thanks!

- Mark