Absolutely.  Perl is pretty quick, but it's still not a static compiled
language.

We end up doing a lot of server side calculations with basic math, and then
using MySQL functions to turn it into text, but that isn't always possible.

In our case, we tend to err on the side of the clients doing more work,
since we have a lot of big server clients, and they have a lot more
horsepower than the server does.

As in all things, it's a balance.  It always bothered me that we never used
this nice suite of built-in functions.  That's ok...a lot of other people
use them.  :-)

Cheers.
-Dana

and intended solely for the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email
in error destroy it immediately.