Hi.

It's Christmas and I'm sending my wish list to Santa Claus...
;o)

1. hierarchical queries

I've seen an interesting patch to PostgreSQL to implement
hierarchical queries similar to those available with Oracle
(http://gppl.terminal.ru/readme.html).
This kind of query makes handling trees an easy job.
In a typical table representing a tree like, like this:

+----+-----+-------------+
| id | pnt |    data     |
+----+-----+-------------+
| 0  | 0   | root        |
| 1  | 0   | (1 leaf l1) |
| 2  | 0   | (2 leaf l1) |
| 3  | 0   | (3 leaf l1) |
| 4  | 1   | (11 leaf l2)|
| 5  | 1   | (12 leaf l2)|
| 6  | 1   | (13 leaf l2)|
| 7  | 6   | (31 leaf l2)|
| 8  | 6   | (32 leaf l2)|
+----+-----+-------------+

it is possible to execute a query like:

> SELECT * FROM data CONNECT BY id PRIOR pnt START WITH id=0;

whose output would be something like:

 id | pnt |    data     | _level_
----+-----+-------------+---------
 0  | 0   | root        | 1
 1  | 0   | (1 leaf l1) | 2
 4  | 1   | (11 leaf l2)| 3
 5  | 1   | (12 leaf l2)| 3
 6  | 1   | (13 leaf l2)| 3
 2  | 0   | (2 leaf l1) | 2
 3  | 0   | (3 leaf l1) | 2
 7  | 6   | (31 leaf l2)| 3

Yes, I know, of course handling a tree is possible also
without this kind of statements, but I think that this
would be a nice feature to implement into MySQL
(It would be nice to have something to select the path
from the root to a leaf or a segment of this path,
it would be nice to have something selecting a
subtree down just to a certain level, etc.)

2. php serialized objects

Since PHP and MySQL are so often used together, wouldn't
it be nice to handle serialized objects directly with
MySQL (create, search, modify and index them) ?

(Merry XMas to everybody!)