Hello all,

Seems like I'm not alone:
  http://lists.mysql.com/cgi-ez/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:52006
On the bright side, I found an answer that pointed me somewhat in the right
direction:
  http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/13/1998/11/0/56625

I have discovered that I can create a trimmed-down version using notepad:

[ODBC]
DSN=foobar

If I call this file foo.dsn and put it in "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\odbc\Data Sources", foo.dsn shows up in the ODBC Data Source
Administrator application (aka ODBC manager).  However, in order to
actually use it, I have to create the System DSN that is specified in the
File DSN, for this example, foobar.  Using the ODBC manager, if I change
the File DSN, the System DSN also changes, and vice versa.  Yet, when I
quit and examine the file foo.dsn, nothing has changed.  It still just has
the single line DSN=foobar.

What is the advantage of creating a File DSN if I have to create a System
DSN?  Why not use the System DSN instead of a File DSN?  Setting up a
System DSN so that I can create a File DSN leaves me with the feeling that
something is broken.  Is it Windows' ODBC manager?  Is it MyODBC?  Should I
be trying MyODBC 3.51?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Regards,
- Robert