If you are running close to the same setup with no problems then I feel a
little better about it not being a issue of pure traffic.

As for the scripts, its a heavy reliance on the database for information -
pretty much the whole site is like a classifieds ads system. Other then the
advance searches (which are not used all that much) 90% of everything is
just a single select to the DB at which point the results are normally
parsed out in a single loop and displayed to the user (I also use
HTML::Template to deal with serving results).

If it means anything, when things are running at a normal load I can sit and
watch people hitting the scripts (just using top or ps -eaf) and see that
they use up a little CPU and then they are gone (meaning everything did its
thing and it was over), I almost never see a perl process that is running
one of the webscipts last any more then a second or sometimes two..

I don't think the link between the machines is a issue, both machines are
dedicated and at the same location, I've tried using both the external and
internal (10.0.x.x) IP to connect to the DB with the same results and in all
cases both machines have had entries in their hosts file for one another.

As for simultaneous connections, that is something that I still need to go
through the logs and come up with a real number for those time frames.. I
don't know anyway to see a real number of actual users using Apache via the
command line (is there such a thing?).

One thing I wonder that I forgot to ask - does using IP address as the host
for a user in mySql matter? Meaning before DNS switched over I wanted to get
everything up and running so I created all the mysql user accounts based on
the IP address of the web server (and not name).
I would think if this were a issue at all I would be getting "denied"
messages and it wouldn't work 100% of the time, but I thought I would throw
it out there.

Thanks
-Chris