Greg Matthews wrote:
Mark,

Version was 3.51.05.
Hmmm, that looks like an ODBC driver version. MySQL Connector/J has two branches right now 2.0.x and 3.0.x, seeing as how you're using named pipes, you must be using 3.0.x something.

& works ok. It now seems that it might be related to me trying to use
the NamedPipeSocketFactory. When I use leave these properties out of the
datasource url everything works ok.

socketFactory=com.mysql.jdbc.NamedPipeSocketFactory
namedPipePath=/mysql/pipe
[snip]

Other variations of namedPipePath, like c:/mysql/pipe also fail, and yes,
there is a directory called c:\mysql
If you haven't changed the named-pipe path (and I doubt you have), leave it off. The driver will use the default. You also need to have started your MySQL server with --enable-named-pipe and you need to be running the mysqld-nt.exe or mysqld-max-nt.exe binary for your server.

See

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Windows_prepare_environment.html

and

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Windows_running.html

Any help much appreciated,

Greg.

PS. Using the standard IP-based connection (i.e. not named-pipes) seems to
kick MS Sql Servers arse in terms of speed.
That's nice to hear :) Considering that in my testing named pipes are even faster (at least on XP), you should look forward to great performance once you get everything running.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

-Mark

- -- MySQL 2003 Users Conference -> http://www.mysql.com/events/uc2003/

For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/?ref=mmma

/ |/ /_ __/ __/ __ \/ / Mark Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/ /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ MySQL AB, Full-Time Developer - JDBC/Java
/_/ /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ Flossmoor (Chicago), IL USA
<___/ www.mysql.com