Hi again.

On Sun 2002-12-29 at 15:21:33 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> ...and then Benjamin Pflugmann said...
[...]
> % Of course, that's only possible if you can live with being
> % MySQL-specific.
>
> Hmmm...  so it's a mysql thing and not a SQL thing.  Well, I'd like to
> avoid that, even though I like mysql...

Well, setting up a database (or updating it) is always very
vendor-specific, isn't it?

Besides, I have yet to see production-level SQL that works on several
databases without change (except for stuff that is developed that
way). The problem is that the SQL standard is too unspecific in some
areas and the vendors have to fill in the details and it becomes a
PITA to work without the vendor-specific features.

IMHO, the most common example is the lack of sequence support.
AUTO_INCREMENT is MySQL-specific. To be portable you have to simulate
sequences yourself, which is possible, but you won't do except if you
*know* you will need to run on a different RDBMS later.

More info here:

  http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Compatibility.html

> Thanks & HAND & HH
                 ^^^^

Hehe. I wondered about the non-abbriviation in your first mail
already. ;-)

HTH,

        Benjamin.

--