Qunfeng,
..millions of records.. seems like a lot...
Would you be kind enough to provide me with your hardware configuration?
Thanks.

At 07:57 AM 12/31/02 -0800, Qunfeng Dong wrote:
If you are searching with %pattern%, your speed is
depending on the speed of table-scan. The speed of
tablescan depends on your my.cnf setting (increase
record buffer size?) and how big your records are. I
am using pattern search here with millions of records
and the performance is not terriblly too bad. Maybe
you can still use fulltext search for general cases;
and use pattern match ONLY when you are searching for
3-char-term. You should be able to make such "Switch"
through your interface.

Qunfeng