Even so, that still doesn't answer the question of how to have data of
different magnitude in the same table.  If I have one class with one
person and another with two people, how would I have a single record for
each which lists the client(s)?
Easy,

Your scheduling query results, as I said:

places, timeslots, personnel, groups, classes

5th floor room, 1 to 2, BestInstructor, Local community center, yoga (group lesson)
5th floor room, 2 to 3, BestInstructor, Jon Smith "group", yoga (private)
5th floor room, 5 to 6, BestInstructor, Open Group, yoga (open)

In order to find out if Jon is scheduled twice, you would need to know if he is part of the Local community center group.

Any way....
You may have to re-think parts of your database structure. A good book on ERD diagrams might help.

Best of luck.