-----------------
Yesterday happened to be one of the busiest days for us ever
on our MySQL backed web site.  For the entire day MySQL was
hit with up to 1200 queries/second, and many queries were
being delayed at least 2-15 seconds.
-----------------

I know how you feel. We were hitting 7700 queries/second today until the web
server went into swap space and ruined everything. :(

-----------------
What other statistics can I look at?
-----------------

Besides 'iostat -k 1', I'd try 'vmstat 1'.

-----------------
Our hardware is dual P3 1GHz, 2GB of RAM, and about 56GB of IDE RAID-1
backed disk (3ware escalade).

I love IDE RAID for a workstation (great for video and audio production),
but for a database server I'd suggest SCSI RAID. What is the disk rotation
speed? Disk seek is very important for databases. (Today, in fact, our main
server will be getting a multichannel 10 disk SCSI 15K rpm striped RAID
array.)

But the real question is: are you CPU or disk bound? If it doesn't point
really heavily at either, then it is both. :(

-s