Are you sure it would help? MySQL is damn fast at taking connections.

When we converted to mod_perl I made a mental note to switch
to persistent connections.  It turns out that it still
ran fast enough even though every hit results in an RDBMS
connection. And at this point we're doing 5M of them per day.

It has never been a bottleneck for us.

-M