At 9:52 +0800 1/6/03, oceanare pte ltd wrote:
Hi,

I do not know if this is a bug or feature.
One of the screens that the installer presents tells you that if you
want to use a different location than the default of the C: drive,
you'll need to put something like this in your my.cnf or my.ini file:

[mysqld]
basedir=path-to-installation-basedir

We installed MySQL on a test machine with many partitions. The
start of the service crashed with error 1067 if Windows was not
installed on drive C.

The only way to get it up and running was to place the file
'my.cnf' in the root of drive C.
If you use the my.cnf file, yes, it must be C:\my.cnf.  The MySQL
distribution itself can be installed anywhere.

It is no problem to use 'my.ini' in the Windows directory if
Windows is installed on drive C. The installation of Windows on
any other drive will force you to switch to 'C:\my.cnf' as the
only way to configure MySQL.

It would be helpfull to the users if the manual would state that
MySQL only allows the use of 'my.ini' in the Windows directory if
Windows is installed on drive C. The documentation uses drive C
only as an example at the moment.

Erich