FileMaker displays it rather quickly because it is only loading enough names to fill the window. When you start scrolling, FileMaker then loads another name, then another, etc. This can actually get pretty slow over a dial up line. You've probably gotten spoiled by FileMaker's indexing architecture, like I have, which defaults to a full text search. MySQL does support full text indexing and searching, but I would recommend using MySQL v4 if you really want to take advantage of this feature. A lot more functionality was added to full text searching in 4.

You want to limit your web page to returning only a limited number of names like 50 or even 100. I'm sure you've seen this "interval" loading on many web sites. You actually should always set a limit on your queries, regardless of how many records you expect. I would suggest you put a set of buttons on your page containing each letter of the alphabet. That will give the user quick access to names starting with that letter.

When designing for the web you have to remember that the web is stateless by default. You don't stay connected like in FileMaker or other systems. The web server doesn't know what page it last delivered to you, you have to track this information yourself. Apache/PHP/MySQL is very different than FileMaker and there are pluses and minuses to both. A well designed MySQL database will be far more scalable than FileMaker.

Like you, I'm currently migrating away from FileMaker. I've got a few interrelated tables with records of 15K, 19K, 51K and 68K. Some things are starting to get a little slow and really shouldn't with that few records.