After digging through the mysql web site and hunting on google I couldn't
find the answer to a problem that I am having.

It looks like MySQL is having problems differentiating between the "ô"(ascii
244) and the "o" characters.  If you create the table from the SQL below and
then try to run the first two insert statements it will give you a duplicate
error even though they are different.  If you look at the data in the table
it will be the first one that got inserted so if you delete the data and
switch the order of the inserts then the other one will show up correctly.
The two select statements both return then same data.

CREATE TABLE Test
    (Test             VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
     UNIQUE U1Test (Test));

insert into Test(Test) VALUES('ô')
insert into Test(Test) VALUES('o')
select * from Test where Test = 'ô'