I need to reset the auto_increment in a table full of data.  I had a problem
recently where some script was putting InvoiceID numbers into an
auto_increment CustID column...I since fixed the problem and corrected the
data but I now have a huge gap in my number sequence and I cant get
auto_increment reset to a more reasonable value.

Now I have read the archives and the online manual with user comments and
nothing has worked as of yet.

ALTER TABLE tbl_name AUTO_INCREMENT = 1
this command gives me a successful response but when I do a SHOW TABLE
STATUS the Auto_increment is still unchanged.

myisamchk -A=1 /path/to/db.MYI
this command also gives me a successful message but never changes the
auto_increment when displayed by SHOW TABLE STATUS

in section 3.5.9 of the MySQL manual with user comments I noted the
following comment on Oct 23 20002 by Ethan Pooley
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/example-AUTO_INCREMENT.html
He stated that the ALTER TABLE tbl_name AUTO_INCREMENT = 1 will only work
when the table is empty.

So what I need is the ability to reset the auto_increment without having to
empty the table first.  Or I need someone to help me figure out why the
above mentioned commands fail to do what everyone tells me they are suppose
to do.

-Jason

  • ... Wei Gao
    • ... Rick Emery
      • ... Paul DuBois
    • ... Wei Gao
    • ... Rick Emery
    • ... INVALID - TESTING ONLY. IF YOU GET EMAIL WITH THIS ACCOUNT PLEASE REPLY TO [EMAIL PROTECTED] INSTEAD. OBVIOUSLY WE MADE A MISTAKE IF YOU ARE READING THIS
      • ... Paul DuBois
    • ... Mike Blezien
      • ... Trevor Rhodes