> Greetings all. Hope someone could give me some pointers on this.
>
> I am working at a small ISP in Montreal. Some of our corpo users. have
> access to a MySQL database, that we created for them (usually, this DB is
> named after there username). The way we configured our mysql installation,
> which seams a pretty standard procedure, they can create as many tables as
> they want in there DB, but of course, they can't another DB.
>
> Well, we would like to do just that.
>
> Is there a way to configure mysql so that the user can create as much DB as
> he wants, by making sure every DB created by this user can only be accessed
> by him, some kind of 'root' access if you follow my logic. Furthermore,
> since we are billing our clients for the disk space they are using, will the
> structure of this will ressemble to this ;
>
> MAIN_USER - DB1 - table1, table2, ...
>                     - DB2 - table1, table2, ...
>
> Thanks for any help.

I would say, unless you have a very compelling reason to allow users to
create their own databases, you should avoid that option. It seems to me
the less you allow a user to do, the more secure a system will be, and
less headache / maintenance for the sysadmins.

My ISP sets up 1 database for a client, and then the client can create
as many tables as they want. For example, I only have 1 database
available to me, but with it I manage about 6 of my client databases,
just by setting up and using appropriate tables. Is there some reason
why this can't be done in your case? Getting disk space is easy with
phpmyadmin, or just do a 'du'.
--
/* All outgoing email scanned by Norton Antivirus 2002 */
Amer Neely, Softouch Information Services