would like to help you but I can't. This is PHP issue, not MySQL-s.
SSL connections are supported by MySQL, they are also available in C API
but I am not sure if and how PHP uses them.

Looking up into PHP manual http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php
won't show up needed functionality for this.

You have three options:

1. Use third party tunnel (CIPE, stunnel, ssh for example) to encrypt
communication.

[...]

I second that. If you use a local connection, IMHO there is no need to use SSL. If you use a remote connection, you would probably better succeed using stunnel (or sslwrap or some other SSL tunneling).

- Cs.