At 13:51 -0800 1/13/03, Scott Haneda wrote:
Was working on a database job last night, and ran into a little stumbling
block, hope all this comes though in email, if you see a ® it is a
"registered mark" just in case the email clients out there change it around.

So I have a simple database, one table, and say one field, varchar(14) and
in it I put hello®, I use html input form elements and a middleware called
WebSiphon, I have also done this in php with phpmyadmin as well, the
character shows up on display in the Browser as a "registered mark", as well
as in phpmyadmin, all good so far.

Now, in my shell in the mysql prompt, or on a dump of the data, the
"registered mark" is not what it should be, here is a example.

mysql> select name from custom_bikes;
+--------------------------------+
| name                           |
+--------------------------------+
| 2002 FAT BOYÆ, FLSTF -         |
| 2002 V-RODÆ, VRSCA -           |
| 2002 ROAD KINGÆ FLHR -         |
| 2002 FAT BOYÆ, FLSTF -         |
| 2002 FAT BOYÆ, FLSTFI -        |
| 2002 DYNA WIDE GLIDEÆ, FXDWG - |
| 2002 SOFTAILÆ DEUCE, FXSTDI -  |
| 2002 V-RODÆ, VRSCA             |
| 2002 FAT BOYÆ FLSTFI           |
| 2002 SOFTAILÆ STANDARD, FXST   |

Where the Æ should be a ®
How do you know this isn't simply a failure of your terminal window
to display the character properly?  That's the most likely problem
here, not that your data are stored incorrectly.

So in my middleware, I have made a function called encodeHTML(string)
And of course it does not work to convert the ® to ® for propper html
display in a browser.  Granted, most browsers are forgiving, but I consider
this muddy data in MySql and would like the correct data in there.

Thanks for any help.