On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:10:02AM +0200, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> Can I index just a smaller number of characters from a field even though the
> field has more?
> Will this make MySQL to index that field faster?

  Good Day Octavian,

  You can index part of a column with the syntax

    INDEX index_name (col_name(length))

  Doing this requires less space for storing the index and should make
  index generation/manipulation faster.

  Please see http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Indexes.html

  Cheers!
--
 Zak Greant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | MySQL Advocate |  http://zak.fooassociates.com

MySQL Tip: Impress your friends with nifty MySQL one-liners
  % mysql --execute "\u mysql; SELECT DISTINCT user FROM user ORDER BY user;"

Public Service Announcement:  Open Source Initiative (http://www.opensource.org)