Cal, et al --

...and then Cal Evans said...
%
% IMHO, etc.

*grin*

%
% Always start with a *fully* (ok, by fully I mean 3rd normal form...mainly
% because I still don't fully understand 4th and don't even pretend to

Yeah; I'm in the same boat :-)

% understand 5th) normalized design. You can always denormalize for speed but
% it's real hard to normalize once you are in production.

Well, good point.

%
% Vocal range deserves a 'domainTable' of it's own.

Really?  Well, OK; I can, as you say, start more normal and then change
(does that mean I morph, mutate, or mogrify? :-)

%
% vocalRangeType
% ---
% vocalRangeTypeID
% ===
% description
% ===
%
% product then has vocalRangeTypeID as a FK.

Right.  That means another lookup, but it would certainly work.

%
% Nothing wrong with a table that is just a bunch of FKs to other tables.

Oh, I agree :-)

%
% YMMV, HTH,
% =C=

Thanks & HAND

mysql query,
:-D
- --
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"