You know what? You are correct on both accounts. I completely overlooked
what you had written as your SQL query and am a blind moron ;-)

Yeah, I dunno why you got whacky results then. It is true the TINYINT is
still in it's range, so that part is working, so the issue is that the
DISTINCT and/or the ORDER BY is not working.

Out of curiousity, did you try it like gentradedb.gpatomdb instead of
`gentradedb`.`gpatomdb`

Mebbe the ` are confusing mySQL?